MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS -
APPLICATION OPENS MARCH 2018
DUE TO THE HIGH INTEREST IN OUR INITIAL MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS CASE STUDY, WE HAVE DECIDED TO RUN ANOTHER ONE IN THE SPRING (STARTING MID-APRIL).
ALL APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED PRICE PERSONAL TRAINING, AND A FREE MONTH OF FITNESS CLASSES.
1 in 4 people will suffer from a mental health disorder here in the UK, including; anxiety, stress and depression. The mental health Foundation (2012) and the National Health Service (2012) encourage exercise as a means of helping treat mental health conditons, either on it's own, or in addition to other treatment options.
Anxiety: An unpleasant emotional state ranging from mild unease to intense fear.
Stress: Any intereference that disturbs a person's mental and physical wellbeing.
Depression: Feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and a loss of interest in life, combined with a sense of reduced emotional wellbeing (BMA, 2007).
We are in the process of liaising with local GP surgeries to encourage the treatment of mental health disorders and other clinical health issues within the Helston area. This will bring us up to date with other areas in the UK who have already demonstrated success with Exercise Referral Programs. This is where you come in! Unfortunately, Cornwall has some of the greatest statistics when it comes to mental health disorders, but we think we can help.
We are offering significantly reduced price Personal Training to those who meet the criteria below, as part of a case study. The case study will be used to demonstrate the effects of exercise on those suffering from mental health disorders (with or without associated health conditions/co-morbidities), to healthcare professionals at local GP surgeries. Your program will follow the same format as our Personal Training, but you will be supervised by an Exercise Referral Specialist who is qualified to adapt exercise for your condition(s), and training status.
If you would like to participate in this case study, please ensure you meet the following criteria, and complete the form below. This is our third intake of case study participants, and therefore anticipate a high volume of interest. We cannot guarantee you will be selected this time, but will keep all entrants' details on file for future studies, unless you request otherwise. Being as flexible as you can with training days and times will increase your chance of being selected.
- Male or Female
- Aged 18 to 60
- Suffering from anxiety, stress or depression
- Not pregnant, or have given birth in the last 6 weeks (12 weeks following a
- Able to commit to a minimum of 1 training session per week with the Exercise Referral Specialist
- Able to commit to a minimum of 3 training sessions per week on your own
- Be able to commit to 10 weeks of continuous training*
- A desire to improve one's health status
- To have NOT participated in a personal training program with us previously
You may have one or more of the following co-morbidities/medical conditions:**
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Joint Replacement
- Simple Mechanical Back Pain
- Diabetes Type 1 or Type 2
* You may continue training with us beyond the 10 week period, and we will be happy to discuss training options open to you.
** Depending on co-morbidity/medical condition, medical clearance may need to be sought prior to training with us.